Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oops He Did It Again...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Oops He Did It Again... Empty
PostSubject: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 9:48 am

Well, some of you (Diana et al) are aware that my five year old has twice previously unplugged the filter of my 90L tank in order to charge his Gameboy. Luckily there were no longterm problems as I discovered what had happened after a few hours but I had to severely scold him the second time and he promised faithfully not to do it again. Rolling Eyes

Well, I was out all day today and when I came back tonight around 9pm, I discovered that this time, he accidentally turned off the wall switch for the 165L tank so, according to the timer clock on the lights, both the filter and heater were off for about six hours. The tank temperature was at 24C which luckily is still within acceptable parameters and I'm hopeful that the filter bacteria will be ok. I'll check the water stats. tomorrow morning but for now, all I can say is...Aargh!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 10:42 am

He's a little darling isn't he.

I am sure there must be a good family somewhere who could give him a good home you know! Very Happy

Only joking Mary! Hope all is well.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 1:12 pm

Well, when I came home, the fish were looking a bit listless so I panicked a small bit but after I'd turned everything back on and given them some food, they perked up. I'll check the water stats. in the morning so fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 10:53 pm

i left my filter and heater off the other week after doing a water change. ity ws only by luck that i noticed!

they were all ok though, so i hope yours are too
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 12:38 am

Well, I checked the water stats. this morning and fortunately, all is well. Ammonia and nitrite 0-0 and nitrate 10 so dodged a bullet...again! cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 10:27 pm

Oh well done on that Mary! A bit of superglue on your plugs may be the answer Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 8:33 am

Superglue on the child's hands might be more useful... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 8:34 am

Twisted Evil Now that is an idea :lol:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 2:21 am

Kind to fish but supergluing kids!!

Sounds about right to me :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 3:10 am

At least I have my priorities right, cam... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 7:40 am

Phew Mary, that was a close one! Maybe print a pic of a sad face and stick it on the plug to remind him sunny
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 9:11 am

Not a bad idea - or a Skull & Crossbones might be more appropriate. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 3:11 am

Not wanting to sound like im telling how to raise your kids, Ive no doubt you told him off on each occassion, and as such...

HE ISNT TAKING NOTICE

Problem - GAMEBOY

Solution - Removal Thereof, either temporary or permanently.

Youve been lucky so far, next time it may be a horror story.

Final solution, you can buy sockets that have a locked cover that goes over the plug and switch and is then locked, stopping removal of the plug and flicking of switches, I suggest you get one/some but you may need an electrican to fit them as you have to remove the old socket from the wall completely

Personally id amputate both hands to stop him playing on the GB but thats my opinion
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 3:21 am

Mmmmm Suspect , think that final solution may be just a step too far Rich Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matty
Matty

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 4:04 am

What a delightful child!! (adoption forms) Wink
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.mac.com/matthewbshaw
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 7:28 am

My solution - plug the laptop charger into the spare adapter socket so he can't use it anymore. :lol:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oops He Did It Again...   Oops He Did It Again... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oops He Did It Again...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FRESHWATER CHAT :: TROPICAL FRESHWATER TOPICS :: GENERAL FRESHWATER TOPICS-
Jump to: