Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ok what do i need ?????????? lol

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

ok what do i need ?????????? lol Empty
PostSubject: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:05 am

OK What will i need to get started??
got the tank/stand/very fine gravel/marine rocks
what have i to do to turn this tank into marine?
how much am i l@@king at?

please state things clear afterall i maybe goimg to the dark side.
crikey have you seen the price of that living coral Shocked

Rich mate where are you Smile
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:23 am

chez wrote:

crikey have you seen the price of that living coral Shocked

Youve been looking it all up havent you!!!

yay yay yay

Go for it chez, that would be great if you took the plunge Smile

Rich is the resident expert isn't he so he will sort you out when he next logs on Im sure. He is busy getting beaten in the Ocean Race at the mo.

Why havent you signed up for that anyway - if you are going salty then you could catch ypur own fish while you race lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:58 am

to be honest F.F i havant time to play games Sad
i have to upkeep 5 websites one being the R.S.P.C.A which some days is very busy
i have to put any cats and dogs on right away.
today has been a bit slow,this morning i had to do some stuff on it.
take a look at the RSPCA one i am webmistress for.
i did all the layouts from scratch.
ANYWAY I WOULD WIN YOU ALL.LOL

http://www.rspca-macclesfield.org.uk/
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 6:07 am

Oh go on...........................there's nothing to it and it only takes a few mnutes a day. You could even name your boat Elvis if you wanted laughing
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 7:01 am

Im certainly not the resident expert - im a noob at this myself

OK - my forst question or suggestion is to think what sized tank you wanna start out with for marine - Ie 100 liters, 200 etc etc (I think 100 is the recommended minimum for a relatively easy ride)

Thats why im looking at RedSea Max 130D as it has accessories to allow for external filters etc later (unlike most system marine tanks ive seen)

My LFS reckons £400 will get you a good marine start with a 100liter tank - but ive seen bad revoews of the tank they suggest (forgotten the brand for now - will look it up for you)

You dont NEED live rock - it depends on what you want - if your only after fish and no corals etc - you only need the sand and thus you can be tight on lighting and other things too as the corals and inverts are the fussy customers.

So decide what size tank and what you want to keep in it and post it here (and i;ll look up the duff tank I looked at)
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 7:19 am

well i was hoping to use this new one i bought last friday
fluval rena 90 ltr's

ok what do i need ?????????? lol Bdd1_1
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 7:22 am

Well you're on your own with this one as far as Diana and I are concerned as our combined knowledge of marine tanks would prob be that they require saltwater. laughing
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 7:29 am

That is so near the truth to be embarrassing Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 8:03 pm

Thats a great little tank chez, it will look great with some marine fish swimming round in it Smile

Apart from Rich, isnt there someone else on here who has a marine (or thinking of getting one), cant remember who it is?
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:20 pm

OK - from my (limited) knowledge - that will be fine - just be realistic about what sort of stock you can n cant have - there are not many small marine fish or even corals for that matter - so you an I are both restricted by what we can n cant have.

Thats a long way off yet tho - you havent said if you want just fish or a 'reef' so i'll assume a small reef.

You will need (for the 'Berlin' method) Live rock (not all live rock is the same - do your home work) a means to measure slinity - im told refractometers are better than the hygrometers as the latter gets clocked with salt and becomes inaccurate - marine testing kits - the usual ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, as well as pH, you'll want to test phosphate and probably calcium (if your keeping corals etc) possibly magnesium and others too (many are just luxuries you dont 'need')

Heater, thermometer, a HOB skimmer, powerheads, external filter (for chemical and mechanical filtration, the live rock does the bio filtration)

Maybe a small UV filter - im told these are best used if you spot something nasty inthe water or on fish - ie dont use it all the time - and of course - marine salt and marine substrate (coral sand is best as it helps with buffering) - you might need a cup of water or two as well (Im aiming to use tap water and treat it myself - but you may want to use RO water)
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 12:15 am

all that info Rich and then she goes and changes her mind!! Fickle, just plain fickle Mad

(only joking chez Smile)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 1:02 am

Typical Woman
now do i want a dark chocolate or milk out of my big box of choc's..???????????
I can't decide dunno Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 1:22 am

Oh deff milk, as long as it has a hard centre. I hate soft centre chocs - got any to spare.....................I am sitting just over HERE Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 3:02 am

chez wrote:
Typical Woman
now do i want a dark chocolate or milk out of my big box of choc's..???????????
I can't decide dunno Very Happy

Knowing you bloomin women - its white choc that aint in the damned box - and you wonder why we simple men dont bother - its saves agor all round and you know exactly where you stand form the outset Very Happy

That little tank can still be used for a decent number of freshwater fish - a little community tank or a species only (tetras of some sort would be nice)

Just for completion - the tank i saw that i had seen duff reviews for is Interpet River Reef Aquarium (two sizes - biggests is 94liters)

Anyway - im not leaping into decisions on the tank - i like the idea ofg a systemised setup - but the pitfals are finding spares in the future (if things go wrong) and the limitations to upgrades - like wise tho - buying gear individually for a regular tank is expensive as well and also housing the bits is tricjy too (again - a systemised rig keeps it all tidy)

Found this on utube as well - may be of use to others in future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmjP_td2qCE

anyway - enough thread stealing for now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 10:26 am

I love dark chocolate, the darker the better. My current fave has 81% cocoa content. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 7:05 pm

couldnt get the link to work Rich Sad
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 8:19 pm

the link works fine - just takes ages to load - and there is no sound -

overall - id expect better from pfk - or an updated version at least.

Im NOT going diwn the red sea max route now - ive had a mare of a day with the lighting on my little aquaart tanks and it reminded me why i have something against systemised rigs - so from rocket aquatics - im looking at this sort of thing (will shop around for the best deal tho)

http://www.rocketaquatics.co.uk/evasion-column-50xl-beech-marine-150l-square-glass-aquarium-cabinet-p-275.html?osCsid=12h9aua30oaf0khr0lppmigf22

works out to be roughly the same cost as a redsea max - and a little more flexible in terms of 'upgrades' and or replacements in the future. (slightly smaller in terms of liters - but im planning on small refugium and or sump in the futre)
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 8:38 pm

That looks a good little set ip Rich - a nice size too to start with - not too big, not too small Smile

Looking forward to more updates from you!
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 9:59 pm

im probably going to save myself alot of stress ang get a redsea starter kit (around £100) and the rest im still looking into - im not actually overly bothered by internal skimmers etc - but a hob/hos version reduces water displacement

If you saw the PFK setting up video - did you notice a bog no no with the heater? - I was rather shocked by that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ok what do i need ?????????? lol   ok what do i need ?????????? lol Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ok what do i need ?????????? lol
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: MARINE SECTION :: MARINE TOPICS :: MARINE CHAT-
Jump to: