Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A COUP

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

A COUP Empty
PostSubject: A COUP   A COUP Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 10:21 am

Just to set the scene - I have two BN's, one I have had a few months longer than the other.

The older one (Mr. Pleccy) has his own rather large cave, decorated with little trees, in one side of the tank, while the younger (Buster) has a smaller and less ornate cave on the other side of the tank.

They usually avoid each otherunless they bump into each other by accident, but tonight warfare has broken out.

Buster invaded the posh cave, a full frontal attack, and I could see them battling with each other inside. From time to time one of them would escape from one of the openings of the cave, and then re enter the ring to do battle again.

After about 15mins, they stopped - and Buster now seems to be the new owner of the posh cave while Mr. Pleccy is sulking underneath the bogwood!

Is this normal pleccy behaviour and are they likely to do damage to each other??
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

A COUP Empty
PostSubject: Re: A COUP   A COUP Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 2:44 am

if you have two mmales - they will fight - normally if youhave a good choice of large caves - they end up in a peaceful compromise (a 200liter tank shuld be big enough for two pairs)

I wouldnt think theyll doo any real harm to one another - they are armoured and dont really have full on teeth as such - if it helps to know - I had a period of two mionths where my male n female were always fighting (about 6months agon this was) and now they have become rather 'friendly' and spawned Very Happy

I would say watch carefully - add more caves and be prepared to have to rehome one if both are males and the fighting doesnt stop - id also suggest target feeding them at opposite sides of the tank - ie two chinks of veggy at each feed just to reduce the need for meetings.

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

A COUP Empty
PostSubject: Re: A COUP   A COUP Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 4:38 am

Thanks for all the advice Rich - I appreciate it. I do feed them at opposite ends, but the idea to get more caves is a good one, and a great excuse for a visit to the lfs Smile
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

A COUP Empty
PostSubject: Re: A COUP   A COUP Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 7:07 am

Aah, the old alpha male, testosterone busting angst affects even the fish!!

Rich, you mention that you could have 4 BN's in 200l tank. I thought they needed more space than that? I would be interested to have a few plecs when I get my bigger tank.
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

A COUP Empty
PostSubject: Re: A COUP   A COUP Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 2:50 am

Well - thats based on planetcatfish profile of BN's

I have a pair as well as two humbug/talking cats and my snowball - at other times ive had big commons and a sail fin in as well - not a problem as each tends to keep itself to itself (the sailfin was bolshy around food tho)

I suspect 1 male and 3 females would be an ideal mix (if you wanted more than 2 BN's) - but like with many other creatures - im fairly sure the individuals personality has a large bearing on this.

I also wonder if there are pro's n cons to buying all 4 at the same time (assuming 2 males and 2 females) ie would they grow up at the same rate and be relatively tolerant of each other

Or - would it be better to add new fish much later - so the dominant make doesnt feel/isnt threatened by tiny newcomers.

I also think available food is an issue - if your tight with food then your giving them an excuse to compete - same for caves as well.

Anyway - when you say 'a few plecs' there is no reason why you cant mix species - just keep an eye out for fighting etc

cheers
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

A COUP Empty
PostSubject: Re: A COUP   A COUP Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:28 am

Well, seeing as the fighting was becoming a regular occurence, and following your great advice I went out today and bought 3 large caves (so I now have 4!!! Rolling Eyes ) which I have now put in the tank.

There is now the one that Mr. Pleccy was ousted from on the left, a large plain one slap bang in the middle, a big mountainy one with little trees on it which is on the left of the tank, and a small knobbly one in the foreground. A bit of cavey overkill probably but what the heck.

I had to laugh because no sooner had I got them all in and done the water change, then Mr Pleccy took up residence of the large central one, lying there looking out of the entrance and then grabbed a piece of floating plant and scurried off inside! Smile

I just hope now that there are enough caves to allow peace to break out.
Back to top Go down

A COUP Empty
PostSubject: Re: A COUP   A COUP Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:23 am

Hope they have settled down now Diana - must be too much testosterone swirling about Smile
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

A COUP Empty
PostSubject: Re: A COUP   A COUP Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 4:38 am

hi diana

hope all is calm in the tank now, just got a new feature for my tank will post pics in a couple days, trying to get it just right and setup with air bubble hoping it will look nice.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

A COUP Empty
PostSubject: Re: A COUP   A COUP Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 5:26 am

Look forward to them dekker.

As far as the war in my tank goes, both plecs seem to have disappeared! I can't see them anywhere so they must be hiding in one of the many caves they now have to choose from.

I used to see them out and about during the day but now dunno

Perhaps they are busy decorating and choosing curtains?Smile
Back to top Go down
dekker
dekker

Number of posts : 2030
Registration date : 2008-08-26

A COUP Empty
PostSubject: Re: A COUP   A COUP Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 5:30 am

lets hope its not the lull before the storm lol.

dekker
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

A COUP Empty
PostSubject: Re: A COUP   A COUP Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 6:46 am

Diana wrote:
... I used to see them out and about during the day but now dunno ...

As it happens - when my two had finished bickering - they also hid for a few weeks - but they get back to normal - just feed them and the tank in the same way as usual and dont go lifting pots etc to look for them - youve forced them to re-establish territories and need time to re-adjust - so keep everythig as normal as possible

One word of blackmail to any BN - PRAWNS - they'll soom be put for a prawn or two Wink
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

A COUP Empty
PostSubject: Re: A COUP   A COUP Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 12:48 am

I have to say that I really enjoying reading this thread, Diana. The way you describe your plecs behaviour is just hilarious... laughing
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

A COUP Empty
PostSubject: Re: A COUP   A COUP Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 2:29 am

Very Happy

Well, as mentioned, I now have more caves than Aladdin. Whereas before I got all of these the two BN's were fighting over the posher and larger of the two original caves, they are now fighting over the smallest of the newest ones! banghead

This cave only as a small opening and to see the two of them trying to squeeze through the opening has to be seen to be believed! I swear I can sometimes hear faint strains of "It's mine.........No it's not, it's mine". All that is missing is the familiar "Mummm........he's being mean!!" Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

A COUP Empty
PostSubject: Re: A COUP   A COUP Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 2:52 am

Diana wrote:
All that is missing is the familiar "Mummm........he's being mean!!"

Oh I hear ya... lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A COUP Empty
PostSubject: Re: A COUP   A COUP Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A COUP
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FRESHWATER CHAT :: TROPICAL FRESHWATER TOPICS :: General Pleccy Chat-
Jump to: