Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Feeding Live Fish

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Feeding Live Fish Empty
PostSubject: Feeding Live Fish   Feeding Live Fish Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 10:35 pm

I have just been reading about this on another forum and wondered what your views are.

Do you think it is right to deiberately feed live fish to other fish as part of their natural diet - eg, small goldfish are sometimes purchased to be fed to oscars etc.

HAve you ever done it? Do you think it is right?
Back to top Go down

Feeding Live Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Live Fish   Feeding Live Fish Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 4:56 am

No i don't like the idea.of live ones............
to me there all pets..
I know this happens in the wilds.
but the small frozen ones maybe.
To me it would be like feeding dogs >>>dog<<< meat No
Or Human cannibals No
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Feeding Live Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Live Fish   Feeding Live Fish Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 5:33 am

I agree chez, it doesnt seem right to me either - I think it's just cruel to be honest because there is no need for it.

I know on YouTube you get some morons posting vids of live fish being fed, and the people who do it seem to think it is really funny. Evil or Very Mad

When there is such a variety of fish food available in the shops, it is just unnecessary to inflict pain and fear on feeder fish.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Feeding Live Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Live Fish   Feeding Live Fish Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 10:20 am

I've seen it done in a local petshop. They feed live goldfish to a snakefish...if it's the natural diet of the fish and what it needs to stay healthy, then I wouldn't like to judge. But for what it's worth, the goldfish probably didn't feel a thing - it barely had a chance to flap a fin before whoosh, it had been hoovered up. Wink
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Feeding Live Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Live Fish   Feeding Live Fish Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 2:26 pm

well its hard to say.
from what i have herd goldfish are full of fat and disese.
alot of cichlid keepers use convicts. for more proteen.
but for helthy BIG carnivorous fish you need to feed them some sort of live fish not only for pysical health but mentaly as well. the morons that post goldfish being fed to oscars on youtube are merly just that and dont realise the helth problem that they will cause. and usualy they are too big aswell. the ideal feeder fish would have to be small enough to be swallowed in one go.

note to all: i do not feed my fish live fish but i do feed live brine shrimp
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Feeding Live Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Live Fish   Feeding Live Fish Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 8:47 pm

You might have to feed fresh fish to some larger species (although I would have thought that proprietary fish food is so well balanced these days it provides all the necessary nutrients) - but I dont think it would have to be alive. Even in the large 'SeaWorld' type places dont feed live fish to their sharks do they?
Back to top Go down
biggreeny_101
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
biggreeny_101

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Feeding Live Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Live Fish   Feeding Live Fish Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 9:06 pm

im note sure most times at sea world type places usualy feed whole to large pieces of fish to most.
but i guess as long as it was relitivly fresh all would be good and fish would be happy.
Back to top Go down

Feeding Live Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Live Fish   Feeding Live Fish Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 9:21 pm

Ive seen some of those youtube vids and they are appalling and I think they should be banned as its just cruel.

I dont think there is any need at all to feed alive fish to another - it is just done for the amusement of the sicko who is doing it (sorry Mary but I think your lfs is totally out of order!)

There are loads of fish foods that you can buy, but even if there were fish that could bot be fed flakes/pellets or whatever, and had to be fed fresh meat, then that meat could be killed beforehand.

Totally cruel imo!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Feeding Live Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding Live Fish   Feeding Live Fish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feeding Live Fish
Page 1 of 1