Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

World's Best Aquariums 2008

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

World's Best Aquariums 2008 Empty
PostSubject: World's Best Aquariums 2008   World's Best Aquariums 2008 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 9:00 am

Something to aspire to?? Wink

While I agree that the tanks are stunning and major praise is due to the skill of the creators, it's kind of obvious that these are more underwater gardens than true aquariums. Each of them only has one small shoaling species almost as an afterthought. In my case, I keep fish, not plants so I'll take my not-so-impressive planting - but lovely, varied fish communities - anyday. That's my excuse anyway! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: World's Best Aquariums 2008   World's Best Aquariums 2008 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 8:46 pm

Can you imagine the amount of time and effort that goes into getting a tank to look like that?

I agree with you Mary. The tanks are 'landscaped' beautifully, but the fish in these type of tanks always seem to be a bit of an afterthought. I have even read on some sites that people wont get certain fish because their colours would clash with the plants, which just seems a step too far.
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: World's Best Aquariums 2008   World's Best Aquariums 2008 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 7:10 am

Oh I do like the look of some of them It is weird the effect some of them have - they look almost like a park that just happens to be underwater. I wonder how they go about that - do they get the plants established and then add the fish when they have all grown do you think, or put them all in together and just prune/change as they need to?

It must take years for them to get to that standard, but I really like it.

I would love to know the process used - might be something to think of for my new tank Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: World's Best Aquariums 2008   World's Best Aquariums 2008 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 7:47 am

I would think with set ups like these you would use a undergravel filter system here
so not to turf anything up when cleaning with vac..
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: World's Best Aquariums 2008   World's Best Aquariums 2008 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 9:36 am

For one thing, they have to use very high power lighting so it's not a cheap undertaking by any means. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: World's Best Aquariums 2008   World's Best Aquariums 2008 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

World's Best Aquariums 2008
Page 1 of 1