Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Plattys

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Plattys Empty
PostSubject: Plattys   Plattys Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 8:28 am

So, I have a few playttys that I think I will take back to the lfs after Christmas. One is one of the original plattys I got when I first set the tank up, a lovely red colour, but oh, so territorial and narky. Things weren't too bad but now also in there are some rapidly maturing fry, some of whom are also male, and already the fin and scales are starting to fly, with Mr. Narky chasing the others all around the tank.

There are about 5 fry, quite a good size now, Narky, and a female platty too, but I may keep her.

So, what do I replace them with. I do like the look of Rams - beautiful fish, but would they be ok with the rest of my tank inhabitants?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

Plattys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plattys   Plattys Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 8:34 am

Ah pity about the platty. I have a pair of male platies that are best buddies and have never caused a problem.

Re: Rams - what other fish do you have, Diana? Although IME and Rich will prob back me up, Rams mix fine with most other fish and are a lovely fish full of personality. Sometimes they bicker amongst themselves but that's just a cichlid thing.

More importantly though, do you know if your water is hard or soft 'coz Rams are quite particular about having soft, slightly acidic water chemistry. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Plattys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plattys   Plattys Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 8:59 am

Hiya Mary, it was looking at your photos of these fish that got me interested in them Smile . Do you know it's ages since I've tested my pH - I usually just check Ammonia etc. I think the last time I did it, a few weeks ago, the pH was about 7.6.

For some reason, although I have got my fish details in my sig, it isn't showing up Sad . My other fish are - 2f Guppys, Harlies, Emerald Eye Rasboras, Neon Tetras, 2 BN's, and about 5 or 6 Cherry shrimp.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Plattys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plattys   Plattys Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 9:13 am

Well all those species are fine with Rams although I'm not sure whether or not the cherry shrimp would end up as lunch as my amano shrimp vanished from the Ram tank and they're a lot bigger than the cherrries... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Plattys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plattys   Plattys Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 9:27 pm

That's a good point Mary, and I was wondering about that - I don't want to put the shrimp at risk because I do like them in the tank.

I'll have to have a bit of a rethink then. I can't get any fish that occupy the middle of the tank - there's enough there already, so it has to be a 'free wandering' sort of fish. The platty's are ideal really - a decent size, good colours etc. Perhaps I should just get rid of the boy ones and keep the girlies!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Plattys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plattys   Plattys Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2007 9:11 am

How about Pearl Gouramis? They tend to wander around all areas of the tank and are a lovely peaceful fish although a lot bigger than platties. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Plattys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plattys   Plattys Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plattys
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FRESHWATER CHAT :: TROPICAL FRESHWATER TOPICS :: GENERAL FRESHWATER TOPICS-
Jump to: