Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

my marine nano.

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

my marine nano. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 11:22 am

Gary that looks really good now, great to see the little fish swimming round, and that little crab is justy lovely Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 11:29 am

come on mary that's it, join us onthe dark side.

nemo is on the darkside and he's nice.

thanks diana
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 11:36 am

Dont tempt her gary!! She will have to evict one of her children to make room for another tank! No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 11:42 am

i'm sure it would be easy to find a celebrity to adopt an irish child lol!
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 9:07 pm

Anjelina Jolie or Madonna seem to be into that sort of thing dont they? I wonder how they could be contacted? laughing
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 9:12 am

Diana wrote:
Mary, you are getting dangerously interested in all this malarky. Do you live by a beach by any chance?

Several... silent

Diana wrote:
Dont tempt her gary!! She will have to evict one of her children to make room for another tank!

Suspect affraid
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 8:05 am

I am sure the OK magazine would be able to tell you, or perhaps a kindly neighbour so you will be able to keep in touch Mary?

Tank looks really great with fishies in doesn't it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:57 am

come on now you all want to join the darkside.

here's an update. i have moved a couple of things around. the clowns are doing really well and the toadie and zoas are opening up fully now. but the finger coral is yet to fully open.

full tank shot

my marine nano. - Page 2 DSCF1564-1

toadstool.

my marine nano. - Page 2 DSCF1557

my marine nano. - Page 2 DSCF1557-1

zoas

my marine nano. - Page 2 DSCF1560-1

my marine nano. - Page 2 DSCF1558-1

finger.

my marine nano. - Page 2 DSCF1563-1
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 8:29 pm

That's looking really great gary, thatzoa coral really looks good. Are you stickinf with the two fish are will you be adding more?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 10:32 am

Looks great, gary. Those are some very impressive corals. Were they expensive?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 6:01 am

thanks everybody.

haven't been on here in a while been working like crazy.

i'll just be sticking with the 2 clowns just.

the finger coral was £32 the toadstool was £29 and the zoas £10 from ebay.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 8:55 am

Well if I'd gotten my finger out and set up a marine tank, I'd get the corals very cheap now as Sterling has collapsed against the Euro... crazy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 3:35 am

now's the time to do it then Mary - go on you know you want to!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 2:05 pm

come on mary join the darkside. when's the last time they made a film about a cute fish that was stolen from it's family in the amazon.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 9:28 pm

laughing
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 11:46 pm

Hey all. Interesting topic so far gery well done.

May i ask whos idea it was to go pink Razz

Secondly what sort of stats do the marine water need to be?

Secondly how do i find out if there are any local blue flag beaches near me?

and a little side not. Atm all my fish have gone due to an iniment move. So ill soon be back with a 6.6ft tank and a 4ft tank Very Happy

see you soon Razz
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 9:34 am

Hiya GD, nice to hear from you Very Happy

This site will tell you about Blue Flag beaches in England -

http://www.blueflag.org.uk/

Look forward to seeing you new tanks - they sound great already!!

When do you move by the way?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 9:37 am

GeordieDave wrote:
May i ask whose idea it was to go pink

Sshh...apparently, it's purple. crazy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 9:43 am

Mmmmm..............I believe that, honestly Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 5:41 am

that tank was the last one left in the lfs. i might still have the box for it and will prove to you all that its purple.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 7:25 am

ooh i forgot i'll explain the water perams etc tommorrow when my brain is working again.
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 12:44 am

been a long time sionce tomorrow Very Happy

OK - here is my number 1 concern about sea water - i live in Torbay, South Devon - so free water isnt exactly a problem - however - even tho its a blue flag area (cough - when you know the in's n out's of environental science and microbiology and politics - you know what a joke blue flag system is) anyway - every so often we get blue green algae and it affects the bathing water (ie foreshore)

I was and still half thinking of a UK costalo water marine tank - the only 'expensive' piece of kit id be ofrced to buy for a small tank is a cooler.

Also - whilst were on the free water topic - there re many lfs in and around the bay - and all of them sell barrels of RO water daily.

The cost makes the water solution very very attractive (except I dont drive and id have to get a lift to the bech every week or so) - stupid question coming up - when you get the water - can it be kept in storage for any significant amount of time ie a week or so before it 'goes off' and what sort of percentage changes do you do every week?
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 7:00 am

OK - me again - this really did prick my interest - the idea of 'free top ups' for a salty tank seemed irresistable so i looked into it further - the upshot is...

BAD IDEA

Here is why - whilst globably the salinity of sea water is the same (give or take a bit - only 0.75 difference max) the difficult part is as follows

1 Pollution - you name it - its in sea water - besides what we flush down the pan - boats still purge tanks into the sea and everything under the sun ends up in the sea. The point is - in the sea - it doesnt usually cause much of a problem - oil pollution is in fact natural to oceans - however the sea is vast and we all know the solution to pollution is dilution - the home marine tank is a closed system and no dilution - in fact the pollution can worsen in terms of toxicity in a short space of time.

2 Micro organisms - now this is interesting - various theories - all have same end result - basically - if you live int he Uk and are running a UK specific marine tank at the same temp as sea water - then using sea water on the dorrstep isnt necessarily a bad idea (IF you can guarantee zero other pollutants) - however - we are going to be running a tank several degrees higher than our coastal water gets (except for the summer and we all know about the vrown fam or blue green nasty of summer months). The point is - our cooler temps keep certain algae etc etc etc very much dormant - the moment we give em a summer holiday in a well fed warm tank - they wake up and have a rave follwed by an orgy and bang - you get a massive dose of something not welcome and sopmething your tank fish etc are not ever going to meet in the wild and the result can be fatal to your inverts and fish.

Like wise - if you lived in the bahama and tried to run a UK marine tank using water from the bah oamas - youd have a similar problem - warm water controls the growth of other organisms.

The upshot is well - you say you have an algae issue in your tank - the topping up using sea water may well be the problem - and one day - you could bring home a bucket of something really toxic (unwittingly) and wipe out your whole tank.

I have been told many public aquariums will sell you filtered water from there system - and it still works out much cheaper than RO water or home treated tap water and its guaranteed tank safe.

With this in mind - Im going to do the tap water and home mix route - there is no way im risking a tank with russian roulette penny pinching

If nothing else - the fish deserve better
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 7:05 am

Thats an interesting post Rich. I have read elsewhere of people using 'clean' sea water for their marine tanks - I wonder if they all ended up with problems - it would be so interesting to have followed that up!

Look forward to seeing your marine all set up Rich Smile
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 8:05 am

'clean sea water' is probably the same as i mentioned above - bought (or begged) from a public aquarium (im sure 40lites to a place that houses thousands of gallons doesmt go amiss)

all new to me as well - but in the bay - we regularly get super tankers taking shelter and on many a fishing trip to the pier - ive seen the blue/brown slicks on the surface after they have been around - i wouldnt want that in a tank
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my marine nano.   my marine nano. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

my marine nano.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next