Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help please - URGENT!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Help please - URGENT!! Empty
PostSubject: Help please - URGENT!!   Help please - URGENT!! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 6:02 am

Please help! I have just got back and found one of my fish dead in the tank. I have only had them couple of days and they have all looked ok but one has died and now one of the that usually swims all around the tank it jusy lying on a bit of wood and I think its sick.

I cant see any cuts or anything so what do I need to do???
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Help please - URGENT!!   Help please - URGENT!! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 8:03 am

Just fish it out (pardon the pun) and either put it in the bin or bury it, evie - DON'T flush it down the toilet. It sounds harsh but sometimes fish just die for no apparent reason so it's possible that it was a weak specimen to begin with.

It'll do no harm to test the water either just to be sure they're are no water quality issues. Also, keep an eye on the rest of the fish in case they develop any symptoms. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help please - URGENT!!   Help please - URGENT!! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 8:15 am

Sorry to hear that Evie. If you can see any symptoms like ulcers, small spots, swollen stomach or anything unusual at all it will help to diagnose the problem. The 1st thing to check is water quality although as you have been so carefull and patient with your cycle before you got your fish I would think that would be ok but better to check just in case.
Sorry I can't be much help, I always come on here if one of my fish dies or is looking a bit under the weather.
I'm sure someone will be able point you in the right direction.
Hope it's nothing too serious and you gett some more helpful advice soon.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Help please - URGENT!!   Help please - URGENT!! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 7:46 pm

Hiya evie, sorry you are having a bit of trouble with your fish. As john says, do a water test and make sure you have ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and ammonia less than 40, just in case there has been a spike in that.

Check that your filter is working ok - and agitating the surface of the water enough and water temperature are ok too. After that, it's as john says - check the fish for any signs of ulcers, spots, fin fraying etc which give an indication of what disease they might have.

After that though, if the fish are not showing any signs of disease, and the water etc is all ok, there might not be anything specific, and it might just be that you have a couple of weak fish that couldnt handle the transition from lfs to tank.

Let us know how they get on, and give us as much info as you can.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help please - URGENT!!   Help please - URGENT!! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 7:36 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have checked the water and it is all as it should be,

I think the filter is ok, the water surface is just rippling a bit - do I need to do anything else to get it moving more?

I cant see any signs of ulcers or spots. The fish that died didnt have any marks on it, and the one that is sick now doesn't have any martks that I can see. It spends half its time resting in a corner, the other half hanging about the top but not really swimming at all with the rest of the gang.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Help please - URGENT!!   Help please - URGENT!! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 8:11 am

evie123 wrote:
The fish that died didnt have any marks on it, and the one that is sick now doesn't have any martks that I can see. It spends half its time resting in a corner, the other half hanging about the top but not really swimming at all with the rest of the gang.

Which fish are the ones affected, evie?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help please - URGENT!!   Help please - URGENT!! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 4:40 am

2 of the cherry barbs Mary, the rest seem ok so far so fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Help please - URGENT!!   Help please - URGENT!! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 5:33 am

I think it is probably just a weak batch evie. Just keep your eye on things. How is the sickie one now?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Help please - URGENT!!   Help please - URGENT!! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 6:52 am

evie123 wrote:
2 of the cherry barbs Mary, the rest seem ok so far so fingers crossed

IME not the strongest of fish. I had four males originally but two died after only a couple of months so now I'm left with just two males in the 165L tank. I intend to move them to the 90L tank and add four females at a later stage. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help please - URGENT!!   Help please - URGENT!! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 3:48 am

well the other one died this afternoon, but all the others seem to be ok and are swimming round no probs.

Im hoping that it all settles down ok and that will be the last problem I have. Do you think it will be ok to replace them or should I wait a bit?
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Help please - URGENT!!   Help please - URGENT!! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 9:26 am

I'd wait a while evie just in case they succumbed to something that might affect the other fish. Wink
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Help please - URGENT!!   Help please - URGENT!! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 7:46 pm

I usually wait about a month after a fish death before adding any new ones, just in case
Back to top Go down
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Help please - URGENT!!   Help please - URGENT!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 10:16 pm

Dont know if it's just me, but I wait a month and then do a decent water change and tank clean before adding any new fish.

Do you have a spare tank too evie? Some recommend putting all new fish in a seperate tank for a month, just in case they are bringing any disease with them. If they are in a seperate tank you can keep an eye on them and treat anything without it being spread to the rest of your tank
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help please - URGENT!!   Help please - URGENT!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help please - URGENT!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FISH A&E :: FISH EMERGENCY-
Jump to: