Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Starting fish

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

fish - Starting fish Empty
PostSubject: Starting fish   fish - Starting fish Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 9:15 pm

Hiya guys, hope all is well in your fish world Very Happy .

I was just thinking how much part of my day to day routine looking after the fish is. I used to panic about water testing and changes etc, but now am a bit more laid back about it, as everything seems to be ticking along ok.

I also remember agonising about what fish to get to start off with, being terrified that I didnt get the wrong ones.

Did you all spend hours studying all the various fish before deciding what to get, or did you just go to the shop and pick whatever took your fancy?

Did you ever choose the wrong mix, or were you lucky? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Starting fish   fish - Starting fish Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 9:53 pm

I've had a few wrong mixes in my years of fishkeeping but that was before we had super google & nowadays it's so much easier to find out what is best for what fish & who they can live with.
I had a yellow lab & blue zebra (malawi cichlids) in a tank of guppies, a siamese fighter & a load of neons. The SFF attacked the neons, the guppies attacked the SFF then the 2 malawi cichlids pretty much ate the neons & guppies.
I do research anything i'm going to buy now although my malawi tank is fully stocked & all hunky dory Smile It's quite easy having a species tank because you never go out looking at random fish.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

PostSubject: Re: Starting fish   fish - Starting fish Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 11:08 pm

Wow.......that sounds like a bloodbath! pale

As you say Munchy - Google is a Godsend nowadays Very Happy How long have you been keeping fish for then - I know you have cichlids but do you still keep ordinary fish too? (sorry to be nosey!!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starting fish   fish - Starting fish Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 11:31 pm

As well as Googler we have forums like this where we can pick the brains of people who have been into fish for a while and that really helps.
A lot of them have learned through experience so you can always rely on the info you get from them.
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Starting fish   fish - Starting fish Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 3:41 am

Charley - i have had fish for about 15yrs but cichlids for only 2 yrs. I always kept a community tank before that Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

PostSubject: Re: Starting fish   fish - Starting fish Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 6:39 am

Thanks Munchy. I know you are the resident cichlid expert, but I wasnt sure if that was long term or not. Nice to know that you started off with the ususual guppy platty mix too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Starting fish   fish - Starting fish Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 7:17 am

LOL My first fish I still have - a 5" kissing gourami that came with the first tank abou t16 months ago.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Starting fish   fish - Starting fish Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 8:00 am

Well my initial fish were suggested to me by the LFS, including a Redtail Black Shark for a two foot tank...Rolling Eyes...and then I just increased the numbers of the ones I liked (Zebra Loaches, Black Neons, Plecs) and the ones I didn't like, I didn't bother replacing when they died (Mollies, Zebra Danios).

Then it was trial and error with other species depending on what other people had (Rams, Cherry Barbs, SAE, Otos) and what I fancied in the LFS (Siamese Fighters, Hatchetfish, Gouramis, Guppies, Angelfish) and I'm still not finished. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Starting fish   fish - Starting fish Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 8:59 am

Well I was VERY organised and asked loads of questions while I was doing the fishless cycle, and went to the lfs with a list of suitable fish for my tank size, and whixh were compatable with each other.

I then went and bought totally different fish when I got to the lfs! :lol:

I was lucky though, they were all peaceful and fortunately I didnt have any major issues.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting fish   fish - Starting fish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting fish
Page 1 of 1