Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole

Go down 
+2
Mary
alison
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Empty
PostSubject: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 9:51 pm

On Sunday I bought 2 Blue Congo Tetras when I came home from work last night one of them had tried to swim threw a hole in the ornamental castle which was too small for it and proceeded to get stuck. I managed to get it out but it has some slight damage just behind it's head and has now gone into hiding. is their anything I can do to prevent it becoming infected? Or do I just need to keep my fingures crossed and hope it's okay?
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 12:58 am

Try some melafix its good for cuts and scrapes
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 1:56 am

As alison suggested John, a dose of Melafix & Pimafix (both natural remedies) for anti-bacterial and anti-fungal purposes will help in the healing process. Smile

The most important thing though is to make sure your water is pristine so do a water change before you add any treatment, dose for a week and then do another water change afterwards. That should give the fish a good head start in healing any injury. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 3:03 am

Thanks for that. I have a bottle of Interpet general tonic will that do the same job?
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 3:36 am

Probably won't hurt but is less natural than melafix.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 5:42 am

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 9:13 am

as mentioned Melafix will help.

hope its ok
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

PostSubject: Re: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 7:18 pm

Fish have a habit of doing this sort of thing. One of my goldfish swam into an ornament and couldnt turn round to swim out again. Fortunately I was able to get it out ok, but I am now really careful about the size of the openings in any ornaments.

I think I remember reading about a fish that got stuck in an ornament and the only way to get it out was with a jig saw affraid

Surprisingly the fish survived Very Happy
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 9:55 pm

Poor fish, hope he recovers. Maybe leave the lights off so he can chill in the dark a bit Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

PostSubject: Re: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 2:07 am

Unfortunatly found it dead this afternoon Sad.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 4:03 am

Oh thats a shame john. Perhaps its time for a rethink of the interior design. Ive had to do that a few times because of similar things too Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 4:12 am

Sorry to hear that John.

Don't know if it was one of my fish Diana heard about? One of my spiney eels got stuck in a rock and my other half had to use a jigsaw to get him out. He's still going strong a year or so later.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 4:53 am

indigoj wrote:
Sorry to hear that John.

Don't know if it was one of my fish Diana heard about? One of my spiney eels got stuck in a rock and my other half had to use a jigsaw to get him out. He's still going strong a year or so later.
Thanks.
That sounds like a bit of a delicate operation.
Can't decide whether to replace the castle with something else or not, it's been in their for years and this is the 1st time something like this has happened.
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 5:33 am

You could just put a lock on the door :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 8:06 am

Aw, sorry to hear that John. It could've been the shock and stress of the experience rather than the actual injury that killed it. I lost a fish in a similar way when it got stuck inside an ornament and I didn't notice until too late. To avoid it happening again, I plugged up the hole with a stone - maybe you could do something similar. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 6:24 am

Diana wrote:
You could just put a lock on the door :lol:
You don't happen to know a good locksmith do you :lol: ?

I think i'll go with marys suggestion and put stones over the holes, sounds like the cheaper option Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole   Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help My Blue Congo Tetra got stuck in a hole
Page 1 of 1