Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What We Have Bred So Far

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

What We Have Bred So Far Empty
PostSubject: What We Have Bred So Far   What We Have Bred So Far Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 3:14 am

I think it would be interesting if we kept a record of species forum members have had success breeding, and a brief outline of how, that way if anyone wants advice or to compare etc. we know who has done what so to speak. (If everyone likes this idea can we make it a sticky?)

I'll start the ball rolling with:

Bristlenose Plecs (Ancistrus sp3) - several broods of 50+
These like caves or other hollows to hide in - slate caves/bogwood is perfect. I keep 3 females to 1 male but a simple pair works too. Condition them with good quality food and do cooler water changes to trigger spawning (although they often will without prompting) Dad cares for the eggs and fry until they are about 10 days old.

Kribensis - several broods of around 40-50
Another cave spawner. Definitely keep only in pairs. You may need to get a group of juvenile fish to get a male and female to pair up. Mum and Dad both care for the eggs and parent the fry for several weeks. Clean water and good food tend to be enough to trigger a pair into spawning.

Platies - lost count before the kribs murdered the last couple Shocked
Male and Female Platies together = fry.

and had eggs but no fry from Thicklipped Gourami
Lots of floating plants, slightly lowered water level and cooler water changes triggered spawning/nesting.

Last edited by indigoj on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: What We Have Bred So Far   What We Have Bred So Far Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 5:26 am

Great idea indi, how about including some info on specific requirements for breeding to happen - water conditions, seperating mles/females etc?

Ive had loads of success with plattys and guppys, but they only have to shake fins and there are babies! :lol:
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: What We Have Bred So Far   What We Have Bred So Far Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 6:05 am

Good Idea Diana Smile
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What We Have Bred So Far   What We Have Bred So Far Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 9:24 pm

Oh thats gonna take me agessssssssssssssssssss Rolling Eyes

Great idea indi , i shall get onto it - soon :lol:
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What We Have Bred So Far   What We Have Bred So Far Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What We Have Bred So Far
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: BREEDING FISH :: BREEDING-
Jump to: