Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Advice needeed

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 10:53 pm

hiya gang. i am thinking of getting some sort of plec for my tank, but dont want a bristlenose. i would like something a bit bigger than that, or better still a pair but dont know what sort of size would be right for my size tank - 200litres or thereabouts.

dont mind bns if thats all i can have but was wondering if there was anything a bit different i can have.

thanks everyone.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 2:01 am

driver wrote:
dont mind bns if thats all i can have but was wondering if there was anything a bit different i can have.

Yep, there are loads out there but be aware that a lot of plec species are nocturnal so chances are, once you put it in your tank, you'll never see it again. Wink

I have three plecs altogether and it's the BN that I see the most of as it's quite active over different parts of the day, particularly in the early evening. The other two (Peckoltia sp. L205 and Panaque sp. L206) usually only emerge after lights out - although I do see them from time to time during the day, depending on where they like to rest. My toddler calls them "the monsters"...:lol:
Back to top Go down

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 10:54 pm

If yoiu decide on one driver, let me know because I need to know what to get for mine too!
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 6:06 am

OOps just seen this - For something a bit different you could go for a Green Phantom - L200 or Blue Phantom - L128 or you could have 2-3 smaller plecs - eg L134, L201, L066 etc check out planetcatfish and search for plecs that will reach up to about 7" (you could keep 1 or 1+ a smaller one) or up to 4" (you could keep 2-3)
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 8:06 am

indigoj wrote:
OOps just seen this

Tut, tut... No :lol:
Back to top Go down

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 9:00 am

do yo know, it is just so hard to get decent help these days Mad

well in the end i was very boring and went for the bog standard bns that eveyrone has. truthfully, it was all the lfs had, they dont seem to go for any rare or unusual stuff, but they are good little fish and really active in the tank.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 9:04 am

Ah, don't diss the BN. They're a lovely little fish and do a great job on the algae. I think they're a great "beginner" plec so you can go for something more exotic next time. Wink
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 5:16 pm

Totally agree Mary. Despite having many fancy plecs I still wouldn't be without the BN's because they are so active and friendly.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 9:44 pm

I thought I was content with my three until I looked up the L-numbers you listed. I really like the look of that Blue Phantom...silent
Back to top Go down

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 3:08 am

I see what you mean Mary - Ive just looked that up and it is a lovely fish. Are you adding that onto your list :lol:
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 3:27 am

I've got one and he is a wonderful fish to have. Really active, not too secretive and is a really dark blue with bright spots.

They can be expensive in LFS (I've seen them for £40+) BUT if you look around for a fellow fish-keeper selling one you can get them for half that.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 5:39 am

Typical. All the nice ones cost a fortune... No
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 5:42 am

LOL... you need to come shopping here and smuggle them back. drive/ferry over sometime and take plecs back in poly boxes then make a fortune selling them to Irish plecaholics!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 5:47 am

indigoj wrote:
drive/ferry over sometime and take plecs back in poly boxes then make a fortune selling them to Irish plecaholics!

Advice needeed 8
Back to top Go down

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 6:41 am

Now THERE'S an idea for you Mary :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 7:18 am

Might be one way of getting a four foot tank. Have to home my business assets somewhere...:lol:
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 7:20 am

LOL Go for it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Advice needeed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needeed   Advice needeed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice needeed
Page 1 of 1