Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I Need Advice On Ottos

Go down 
+2
Mary
Rich
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

I Need Advice On Ottos Empty
PostSubject: I Need Advice On Ottos   I Need Advice On Ottos Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 12:20 am

As per title, basically I need to know people experiences of them, I know they are good little cleaners, but ive also heard they are delicate and die easily.

Whats eveyone's exoerience, oh and are they fast enough to avoid a grumpy male siamese fighter?

I was thinking of 6 for my main tank and 4 for my fighter tank (it needs something to eat the algae)

Cheers all..
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: I Need Advice On Ottos   I Need Advice On Ottos Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 5:31 am

Funny that you'd ask as I just posted a reply to motsy under my Little'n'Large thread. :lol:

I have 12 Otos, Rich and find that they mix with all types of fish as, in general, the other fish leave them alone. The main thing is to add them to mature tanks (no problem in your case) and give them an ample supply of cucumber/courgette/potato to supplement their algae diet (again, no problem for you as I know you have plecs).

IME they don't eat algae tabs. but spend most of their time hoovering away at the glass and plants. They're even more industrious than BN plecs who tend to get lazier as they get older.

One thing to note (again I'm repeating myself) is that Otos tend to be wild caught and, being shipped long distances, are often half-starved when they arrive. Therefore, it's important to wait a little while before you buy some and then, try to select those with fat bellies.

Four of mine died while I was away on holiday but, I think that's because the tank was too clean and there was no supplementary veg. added for the plecs - only algae tabs. and, as mentioned, they don't touch those. But I managed to get four replacement ones last week and, as they'd been in a display tank for several weeks, they were fine and fat! Wink
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: I Need Advice On Ottos   I Need Advice On Ottos Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 5:40 am

Great fish! I got 4 atm and tank is spotless but im also a clean freak.

However I find they do check out the algae tabs too.

Mind have a habit of trying to attach themselves onto the male cockatoo...he must be dirty lol
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: I Need Advice On Ottos   I Need Advice On Ottos Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 5:45 am

I've seen my Otos hitching a ride on the Fan Shrimp! :lol:
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: I Need Advice On Ottos   I Need Advice On Ottos Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 5:47 am

All the oto's i've ever had have vanished without trace Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: I Need Advice On Ottos   I Need Advice On Ottos Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 5:51 am

Your tanks must've been too clean so they had nothing to eat...:lol:
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: I Need Advice On Ottos   I Need Advice On Ottos Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 6:53 am

I had 6 once and they dissappeared one by one. Only ever found 2 bodies though. I think they are funny little fish that either do really well or else never survive. I do remember reading somewhere that it is often recommended that you buy twice as many as you want to allow for losses!
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

PostSubject: Re: I Need Advice On Ottos   I Need Advice On Ottos Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 11:34 pm

OK, thanks for all that guys, im hoping they will deal with the algae Im at war with (still) havind to fully strip the pipes on two externals, twice a week to get rid of the algae is not funny.

The tank looks clean(ish) so im hping otto's will scoff as much algae as possible and thus prevent it being able to grow and live in my pipes.
No one has said if my grumpy (well, vicious little barsteward) Siamese fighter will be a problem for them, id like 4 in with him and 6-8 in my main tank (buying 24 ottos will be expensive if your buy double the numbers theory is correct)

Anyway, cheers for help Wink
Back to top Go down
kbekl
Frequent User
Frequent User
kbekl

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: I Need Advice On Ottos   I Need Advice On Ottos Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 12:33 am

i had 4 otto's and lost 2 even though mine was newly established tank and was told they would all die i think my kribs killed 2 of them as they were found near their spawning site
Back to top Go down
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

PostSubject: Re: I Need Advice On Ottos   I Need Advice On Ottos Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 8:04 am

As a long overdue update - I bought two batches of ottos (^in one shop 4 in another) and Im sure I have two slightly different species.

Anyway - out the 10 I bought (early august) i am rather ashamed to admit I now only have 8 having lost 2 too Birchirs Very Happy (yum yum)

Anyway more on this in my tank thread Wink

Great little fish - always in the front left corner of the tank - they seem to adore the combination of internal filer outflow (with venturi on full) along with an airline chucking up bubbkes 24/7

Whether this is just coincidence I dont know - but they are all very plump and lovely looking so they like something in my tank Wink

I have noticed that they seem to actually like the meat pellets i put in for my plecs/catfish - again - maybe this is a fluke or something they need in a diet
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: I Need Advice On Ottos   I Need Advice On Ottos Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 9:38 am

Hi Rich. wave

Nice to see you. Glad to hear the Otos are still doing well. Mine are all still present and correct; fat and happy. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Need Advice On Ottos   I Need Advice On Ottos Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I Need Advice On Ottos
Page 1 of 1