Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hillstream loaches

Go down 
+2
indigoj
GeordieDave
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Hillstream loaches Empty
PostSubject: Hillstream loaches   Hillstream loaches Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 5:39 am

Hiya everyone, I have heard that hillstream loaches are suitable for coldwater tanks - is that right??

I have a constant problem with my goldfish tank with algae - brown and green, and was wondering about getting a couple of these to keep it clean. Do they need bogwood and that sort of stuff, and would it be ok to keep two in a 90+litre tank?

Thanks a lot. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Hillstream loaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hillstream loaches   Hillstream loaches Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 5:43 am

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/beaufortia-kweichowensis

I would add some wood yes also maybe try adding a piece of veg every now and again maybe that will supliment their diet for when the algae is slow but im no expert, just from what i have quickly read on forums.
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Hillstream loaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hillstream loaches   Hillstream loaches Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 5:44 am

Yes you could get 2 in there as I don't think they get too big. TBH I'm no expert on loaches at all but I do know hillstream loach like cooler water with strong current and a lot of people have them for coldwater tanks. They may need more flow than your goldfish though. They also like highly oxygenated water. I think they will eat algae but you will need to supplement with other foods as well.
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Hillstream loaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hillstream loaches   Hillstream loaches Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 5:45 am

Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Hillstream loaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hillstream loaches   Hillstream loaches Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 7:26 am

I had an idea of adding one of these to my coldwater community tank (fancy goldfish and WCMM) but after a bit of research, I discovered that they have very specific requirements and require quite a fast filter flow as they need a high oxygen content to survive i.e you basically need to replicate river bed conditions hence their name. This is at odds with what the goldfish/WCMM need so I never got one.

I still get a buildup of brown algae on the glass and ornaments but I find that a weekly wipe with a toothbrush or sponge during the water change keeps it under control. I only have the tank lights on for two hours each evening so I have zero green algae in that tank. Smile
Back to top Go down
jkhsquonk
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
jkhsquonk

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Hillstream loaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hillstream loaches   Hillstream loaches Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 11:33 am

Does anyone know the origin of the word loach? It's almost identical to the icky bug, so I was hoping that the fish didn't remind whoever named it of the insect.
Jackie
Back to top Go down
http://jkhsquonk.ebsqart.com
Rich
Frequent User
Frequent User
Rich

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Hillstream loaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hillstream loaches   Hillstream loaches Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 12:11 am

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Many different fish get names hillstream loach, its seems to be a generic applied to fish the shops cant identify so all small suckermouth cats get the title.

I am no expert on catfish but I know I have seen Clown, yoyo, and even featherfin labelled 'Hillstream' so please becareful of wht your buying, not for your own sake, but for the welfare and longterm health of the fish.

I also saw Senegal Bircir for sale recently, I looked on the book shelf next to the fish... it wasnt a senegal but whatver it was was gonna be massive as an adult, I mean eat oscars sort of massive.

So a general warning on any fish, be sure it is what it is labelled as.

Proper hill streams can be kept at around 22C anmd prefer fast flow and lots of oxygenation... I believe they prefer soft water but you may want to check... think Chinese Mountain Stream but planet catfish will help sort anything out Wink
Back to top Go down
https://tropicalfishfanatics.forumotion.com
Fishfan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Hillstream loaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hillstream loaches   Hillstream loaches Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 4:43 am

I think I have read somewhere that Hillstreams cshouldnt be kept with goldfish because they can 'latch on' to them and suck their scales off, and in some cases even their eyes! Hillstream loaches 36977

Steer clear if I wrere you!
Back to top Go down
jkhsquonk
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
jkhsquonk

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Hillstream loaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hillstream loaches   Hillstream loaches Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 1:18 pm

Ewww! That's gruesome.
Back to top Go down
http://jkhsquonk.ebsqart.com
Sponsored content

Hillstream loaches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hillstream loaches   Hillstream loaches Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hillstream loaches
Page 1 of 1