Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Little 'n' Large

Go down 
+2
GeordieDave
Mary
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 1:14 am

I took this photo a couple of weeks ago so just thought I'd share. On the left is the L206 Panaque Plec and on the top right is one of the four Otos that unfortunately didn't survive my absence. However, I will be getting more at some stage 'coz they did such a fantastic job of keeping the tank glass clean. Anyway, I thought it was cute to see the pair of them in similar positions on the front glass. Very Happy

Little 'n' Large 2607193289_94718f4e6a
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 2:24 am

Shame about your oto's Mary, its strange as one of mine died yesterday

nice plec tho
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 3:07 am

Good photo Mary, look forward too seeing pics of your next batch!
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 8:12 am

That is a fab pic Mary. Shame about your ottos, wierd isn't it, it seems a holiday is an omen of doom for at least 1 fish no matter what - I dread going away (well a little bit)
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 7:29 am

Well I bought four new Otos today to replace the missing ones so all is well again in my tank. I was a bit naughty in that I added them straight to the three foot tank (i.e. without quarantining first) but they'd been in the LFS for ages and were in a display tank with lovely fat bellies so I figured it'd be ok to put them straight in. Sshh, don't tell anyone. silent :lol:
Back to top Go down
indigoj
indigoj

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 7:57 am

Shocked tut tut ...

I bet we've all done it - more than once!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 8:06 am

I usually don't but my Q tank is squeaky clean and, as Otos require a regular supply of algae, I didn't want to take the chance of them starving... Shocked
Back to top Go down
alison
Frequent User
Frequent User
alison

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 8:47 am

I have one giant otto (he was the last in the shop) and I give him a slice of courgette twice a week he loves it , he has also cleaned up the tank a treat
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 9:32 am

I add cucumber and algae tabs. for mine but their preferred diet is tank algae and the aufwuchs that live on the plants, decor etc.
Back to top Go down
jkhsquonk
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
jkhsquonk

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 11:29 am

I've given my otos a slice of zucchini, I wonder if that's the same as a courgette? They do keep everything so tidy and are cute too. But sometimes they are difficult to find in U.S. pet shops for some reason. They used to be more common,in every pet store, but about 3 or 4 years ago, became infrequent in shops. I wondered if there was some sort of oto shortage, but that doesn't appear to be the case in Europe.
Jackie
Back to top Go down
http://jkhsquonk.ebsqart.com

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 4:46 am

how many otos do you have jk? I dont know anything about fish - just doing the fishless cycle, but the pics I have seen - they look cute little things.

I think they have to be kept in groups dont they? Would they be ok for a tank the size of mine (200litres)?

Thanks for the help Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 5:23 am

Yep, Jackie zucchini = courgette. Wink

Motsy, I have twelve in total divided between four different tanks. They do better in groups of at least 3-4 individuals and are fine for tanks 40L+ so plenty of room in a 200L. Smile

One thing to note though is that they should only be added to mature tanks i.e. those that have been cycled for at least six months as (a) they're very sensitive to water chemistry and (b) to allow enough time for a sufficient supply of algae to build up as that's their staple diet. They don't eat normal fish flake or live/frozen food but their diet can be supplemented by cucumber, courgette, potato etc. IME they tend to ignore algae tabs.

Also, as the majority of Otos tend to be wild caught, I'd wait a couple of weeks after a shipment comes in before buying any as a lot of them tend to die off due to starvation. Poor little guys. Sad
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 5:27 am

Mary wrote:
Yep, Jackie zucchini = courgette. Wink

Motsy, I have twelve in total divided between four different tanks. They do better in groups of at least 3-4 individuals and are fine for tanks 40L+ so plenty of room in a 200L. Smile

One thing to note though is that they should only be added to mature tanks i.e. those that have been cycled for at least six months as (a) they're very sensitive to water chemistry and (b) to allow enough time for a sufficient supply of algae to build up as that's their staple diet. They don't eat normal fish flake or live/frozen food but their diet can be supplemented by cucumber, courgette, potato etc. IME they tend to ignore algae tabs.

Also, as the majority of Otos tend to be wild caught, I'd wait a couple of weeks after a shipment comes in before buying any as a lot of them tend to die off due to starvation. Poor little guys. Sad

Ive had 5 now and sadly 1 pegged it! however they others are doing great! i add veg every 3 - 4 days and also agae wafers which now and again they i have seem them attached it whilst the plec and other fish try and grab it from them
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 5:46 am

I've yet to see my Otos eating any algae tabs. What type do you use GD?
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 5:54 am

erm King British.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 5:56 am

I must have a look for those then 'coz I don't want the same thing to happen my Otos next year. Wink
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 5:58 am

However I do notice the Otos spend a lot of time attached to my grass (vallis) plants

and if the move its usually for a lap round the tank then back to the grass
Back to top Go down
jkhsquonk
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
jkhsquonk

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 11:22 am

Hmm, I usually don't buy wild caught fish, this is disturbing news. It could also explain the scarcity of them in pet shops sometimes.
I also didn't know fared better in groups, I usually keep them in pairs. The algae wafer thing seems to be an individualistic trait, some eat them a lot & others ignore. I always keep a log in the tank for the otos too, apparently they like to much them. Thanks Mary for telling me what courgettes are. It sounds so much more exotic than zucchini. lol
Jackie
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 11:28 am

jkhsquonk wrote:
Thanks Mary for telling me what courgettes are. It sounds so much more exotic than zucchini

Also, eggplant is aubergine and rutabaga is swede. Wink
Back to top Go down
jkhsquonk
Not so Newbie
Not so Newbie
jkhsquonk

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 2:24 pm

I like the word aubergine,since it's a color too, but rutabaga is more fun to say than swede. say it 3 times fast & you'll see what I mean. lol
Jackie
Back to top Go down

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 6:46 pm

I've just tried that lol!!! :lol:

What sort of fish do you have Jackie??
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 12:09 am

jkhsquonk wrote:
rutabaga is more fun to say than swede. say it 3 times fast & you'll see what I mean.

We're so easily pleased...:lol:
Back to top Go down

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 7:41 am

I can see you were just meant to join this forum Jackie!! :lol:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Little 'n' Large Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little 'n' Large   Little 'n' Large Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Little 'n' Large
Page 1 of 1