Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Don't Flush Your Fish!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

fish - Don't Flush Your Fish! Empty
PostSubject: Don't Flush Your Fish!   fish - Don't Flush Your Fish! Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 6:16 am

While the following highlights a very serious ecological issue, the manner in which Jeremy Clarkson reported it in The Sunday Times last weekend had me in fits of laughter. :lol:

“A bunch of boffins in Australia…are warning people not to flush their tropical fish down the lavatory…Now, one particular breed, called the platys, has made it to the ocean, where it’s causing havoc. It was bred to live in an aquarium because it suffers from what I call Hammond syndrome - an inferiority complex resulting from the fact that it's about 6ft short of being a shark. It is also tough and bright.

Not only is it capable of dealing with the complexities of a U-bend, it can also swim through several miles of Australian faeces just so it can get into the Pacific, where it is now decimating fish stocks, eating frogs and generally running around shouting: ’You’re going home in a f£$%^&* ambulance.’” hahaha

Now while the theory is plausible re: tropical fish making it into native waters and causing problems for the indigenous species, how likely is it that freshwater platys could survive in saltwater conditions and wreak such havoc? dunno
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Don't Flush Your Fish!   fish - Don't Flush Your Fish! Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 6:27 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Don't Flush Your Fish!   fish - Don't Flush Your Fish! Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 7:29 am

OMG, I never thought that it could really be such a problem. Just shows how careful we all have to be though affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't Flush Your Fish!   fish - Don't Flush Your Fish! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Don't Flush Your Fish!
Page 1 of 1