Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Advice on what Fish to get?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Empty
PostSubject: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 8:09 pm

Hi all I sort of need advice on what fish to get for my 40L tank Smile Its a Aqua 40 if you want a picture of what it looks like.
I want a communal tank and I definatly want Ghost/Glass Shrimp about 4 or 5.
Any Suggestions?
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 9:04 pm

Galaxy Rasboras! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 9:45 pm

Oh here we go again!! GD, I think you just HAVE to go and get some of those fish to save our sanity!

aquanovice, for a smallish tank, you could get some Harlequins, dwarf corys, perhaps neon tetras, that size fish. Remember when calculating how many fish you can have to go by the adult size of your fish - some fish might be tiny when you buy them, but grow to be monsters.

Best way it to have a look in your lfs, make a list of the fish you like, and then let us know the list. We can then tell you the best ones to get. :lol:
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 9:49 pm

believe me I am going to Diana - but atm I dont have a second tank so I may get around 6-10 as they only grow to 1" at adult size!

However I read a very long post on a Nano SW tank and boy I wanna give that a blast too!
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 12:54 am

A pair of Honey or Sparkling Gouramis. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 6:33 am

study Ive come up with some nice and i think sutible tank in mates.
1 x male Sparkling gourami
2x Female Sparkling Gourami
1x male platy
2x Femail Platy
5x Ghost Sprimp

------
excluding the tiny shrimp do you think I need more females or do you think thats a list of too many fish? shark
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 7:01 am

Whats the ph of your tapwater aquanovice? I think the sparkling gouramis like a rather lowish ph so that might be worth thinking about. With plattys I would increase the females. I have had 1m/2f ratio and one of the females always ended up getting pestered to death - literally!!

The only thing with increasing the numbers of females - it means more babies, but if you are not bothered about that then that's ok :lol:

Personally I wouldnt get any more plattys, but would think about a small school of something, but thats just a personal preference.
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 7:26 am

40L is too small for platies, Aquanovice but the Gouramis and Shrimp would be nice. You could also have a pair of Otos to help keep it clean but only add these after about six months or so as they're very fussy about water quality. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 2:39 am

3 sparkling gouramies, 5 myers hatchetfish, 3 guppys, 5 shrimp?
Or that far too many? Im trying to find different combinations
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 3:33 am

Hatchets are very nice top feeders - good choice!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 3:40 am

Thanks! I was thinking I need some fish that hung around the top of the tank rather than the middle or lower middle.
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 4:02 am

there are also butterfly fish i think they are called but they aint too nice to look at
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 7:17 am

Lol Ok I'll Look into them Smile
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 7:43 am

Tank is WAAYY too small for Hatchetfish - 90-100L minimum. Ditto for Butterfly fish which need about 150L. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 am

Hmm thats funny because on another popular forum they recommened Myers/pygmy hatchets for 10 gallon tanks.
Any my tank fits the bill.
Im confused and not sure who to believe help
Lol need help!
Btw I Like the idea of Ottos I have read up on them and 2 seems fine!
But...
I dont know if I should scrap the gouramis for the Ottos Lol, or could I have them both ?
Back to top Go down
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 6:24 am

There are different sized hatchetfish I think. According to Wikipedia, thr only source I could find that gave tank advice, the pygmy hatchetfish needs the following -

Minimum Tank Size = 38 litres
Adult size = 2.2cm
PH = 5.5 - 6.5
Temp 23 - 26
Water Hardness - 10 - 20
Diet - Carnivore
Lifespan - 3 - 5 yrs

Does that help at all?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 4:36 am

Yea thanks!
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 4:47 am

Lifespan - 3 - 5 yrs

for a pigmy fish wow!
Back to top Go down
GeordieDave
Frequent User
Frequent User
GeordieDave

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 4:49 am

Personally id go for Ottos, Hatchets, Guppys?

Top middle and bottom (like strike it lucky!) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on what Fish to get?   fish - Advice on what Fish to get? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice on what Fish to get?
Page 1 of 1