Tropical Fish Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Friendly Forum For All Tropical Fishkeeping and Aquarium Chat

HomeWELCOME TO TROPGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help!!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Help!!! Empty
PostSubject: Help!!!   Help!!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 7:15 am

There is definately something wrong with my fish now, I have lost two and I think it is definately ich. What do I do please, what is the best thing to treat with and how do I use it. what about feeding and water changes when I am treating them?

Please help as much as you can! help
Back to top Go down
Mary
Administrator
Administrator
Mary

Number of posts : 4284
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Help!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Help!!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 10:04 pm

Hi Angel. Sorry to hear this. Do you have any Whitespot meds.? If not, I recommend Waterlife Protozin. If you increase the tank temperature to 29-30C (high temps. speed up the lifecycle of the parasite) and follow the meds. instructions, it should hopefully clear it for you. Smile
Back to top Go down

Help!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Help!!! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 2:27 am

Thanks Mary. I put the temperature up this morning before I went to work, but the fish seem really unhappy at the moment. They are all hanging round the top of the tank and seem to be moving their fins really quick.

Woould this be because of the temperature? Can I turn it down again or what would happen if I did?

Is there anything else I should do?

Ive got the Waterlife medicine now, should I do a water change first or will that lower the temperature anyway?

Sorry, but I just dont know what to do now! help
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Help!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Help!!! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 2:43 am

I'd do a water change before you add a treatment. Keep the temp up at 29-30°c. This will speed up the life cycle of the whitespot (ich) parasite.
The meds will only kill of the parasite at it's free swimming stage ie. when it drops off the fish. So the high temp will speed it up. The fish will be gasping for air as the higher temperature will decrease the oxygen levels in the water. Can you position your filter outlet so it's disturbing the surface of the water, alternatively an air pump withh an airstone will help a lot.
Ask more questions if you need anything clarifying, good luck Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com

Help!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Help!!! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 2:51 am

Thanks Munchy, I have got an irstone in the cupboard that I can set up. Shoukld I run it all the time?

Also, the man in the shop said I could add salt to the tank as that kills off the bugs. Would you do that, and if so how much?
Back to top Go down
munchycarrot
Top Poster
Top Poster
munchycarrot

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Help!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Help!!! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 2:53 am

I wouldn't bother with the salt yet. I personally would leave the airstone on all the time but others may say different.
In my fry tank I have a main filter, a sponge little filter & an airstone on all the time, (just to give you an example) it certainly wont do any harm while the temp is high Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.stefbennettphotography.com
Diana
Administrator
Administrator
Diana

Number of posts : 6033
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Help!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Help!!! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 3:18 am

I agree with MC, I would just treat with the meds and keep the airstone on all the time too. The amount of oxygen in the water will remain low while the temperature is high so the airstone will help your fish feel a little better.

Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Help!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tropical Fish Fanatics :: FISH A&E :: FISH EMERGENCY-
Jump to: